I have had two different people call me out this week about my reluctance for help/assistance. About the forthcoming of my independent spirit and my desire to do it alone. I have to acknowledge that this is something that I am working on.I have a very strong spirit. I am committed to making sure that my life is in my hands. I want to make sure that I have given myself a fair shot and put forth all the effort I have to get me where I want to go (where is it that I want to go? Umm, that I am still discovering).
However, sometimes my strong spirit gets in the way of accepting help from others. I am really not sure where this independent mind of minds came from. Maybe it has something to do with being the oldest child. I have always wanted to do things "on my own." But I do acknowledge, that no success, no hurdle I have crossed, was done all by myself.
I think sometimes I am afraid of showing vulnerability. For whatever reason, I equate getting help as being "not so strong" or weak. When I know that isn't true, it is how my body reacts (initially).
I made a move a few months ago from California to the DC area. 2 months into this move, I am starting to acknowledge what it means to be alone. To be without a network of support. This is a very different feeling than the independent girl who had such a wide network of support around her.
Having this experience brings up all kinds of feelings...insecurities, doubt, fear....But I allow myself to feel those things, then I let them pass. I cannot allow them to bring me down, and hinder my success (and that definition of success is consistently evolving).
Anyways, what I am acknowledging is that being an independent woman does not have to mean that I conquer this world alone. Its a daily lesson...
Love u
ReplyDelete